[mythtv-users] ir-kbd-i2c and StreamZap?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 8 14:02:01 UTC 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 7:38 AM, Brian Long wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Brian Long wrote:
>
> > Has anyone converted to the newer kernels using ir-kbd-i2c with a StreamZap IR receiver?
>
> Huh? That, um, makes no sense. ir-kbd-i2c is for IR receivers that
> are onboard another device, such as a tuner card, and exposed over
> an i2c bus... All you need is the streamzap module.
>
> Interesting.  I saw all this buzz about IR not working with recent Fedora kernels and when I experienced something similar with my Streamzap receiver, I incorrectly assumed I should investigate ir-kbd-i2c.  Thanks for the clue stick.  :)
>

> > ir-keytable shows this:
> > Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
> >         Driver streamzap, table rc-streamzap
> >         Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
> >         Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
> >         Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 33 ms
> >
> > ir-keytable -t with my remote shows a bunch of codes (for most buttons).  lircd is running as follows:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/lirc0 -o /dev/lircd
>
> This is wrong. For devinput, you need /dev/input/event3, based on your
> ir-keytable output, or even better, its /dev/input/by-id/<foo> symlink.
>
> Alright, I'll give that a try.
>
> To use /dev/lirc0, you just use the default lircd driver. You'll also
> want to disable in-kernel decoding if you go this route though, or
> you may get key events via both lircd and the linux input layer.
>
> Maybe this was my problem to begin with.  I just updated my kernel and all of the sudden IR stopped working with my lirc setup.  I'll look up how to disable in-kernel decoding as a fall-back plan.  It looks like I just need to disable the ir-core module.

# echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

You can't disable the ir-core (actually, rc-core now) module, its a hard
dependency of the new streamzap driver, and its what hands raw IR data
off to the various decoder plugins, which include the lirc bridge plugin.

The 'protocols' sysfs node, if you cat it, will show all loaded decoders,
with the active ones enclosed in []. Doing an 'echo lirc' into it makes
it so only the lirc one is active. You can also do 'echo none' to turn
off all of them, and 'echo +<proto>' to add more to the active list.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com