[mythtv-users] ir-kbd-i2c and StreamZap?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:38:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Brian Long wrote:
>
> > Has anyone converted to the newer kernels using ir-kbd-i2c with a
> StreamZap IR receiver?
>
> Huh? That, um, makes no sense. ir-kbd-i2c is for IR receivers that
> are onboard another device, such as a tuner card, and exposed over
> an i2c bus... All you need is the streamzap module.

Interesting.  I saw all this buzz about IR not working with recent Fedora
kernels and when I experienced something similar with my Streamzap receiver,
I incorrectly assumed I should investigate ir-kbd-i2c.  Thanks for the clue
stick.  :)

> > ir-keytable shows this:
> > Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
> >         Driver streamzap, table rc-streamzap
> >         Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
> >         Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC other
> >         Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 33 ms
> >
> > ir-keytable -t with my remote shows a bunch of codes (for most buttons).
>  lircd is running as follows:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/lirc0 -o /dev/lircd
>
> This is wrong. For devinput, you need /dev/input/event3, based on your
> ir-keytable output, or even better, its /dev/input/by-id/<foo> symlink.
>
> Alright, I'll give that a try.

> To use /dev/lirc0, you just use the default lircd driver. You'll also
> want to disable in-kernel decoding if you go this route though, or
> you may get key events via both lircd and the linux input layer.

Maybe this was my problem to begin with.  I just updated my kernel and all
of the sudden IR stopped working with my lirc setup.  I'll look up how to
disable in-kernel decoding as a fall-back plan.  It looks like I just need
to disable the ir-core module.

Thanks.

/Brian/