[mythtv-users] Getting Connection refused when trying to telnet to port 6546

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Apr 4 05:33:25 UTC 2011

On 4/4/2011 00:58, John Nissley wrote:
> "NetworkControl failed to bind to port 6546"
>
> Normally when I see this it means that the bit in the database got
> flipped but when looking in the database and in the setup port 6546 is
> set to enabled.

When you see this, it means either something else is already listening
on that port, or some security measure has prevented your user from
listening on that port.  The likely cause is you already had one
instance of the frontend open, or the instance had recently closed
uncleanly leaving the port open, preventing the second instance from
binding to it.  That first instance has since closed, but the running
frontend will only open the port on startup.  Try restarting your
frontend, and see if that fixes the problem.

Also note that the frontend does not have a telnet server.  The unicode
socket server listening on port 6546 uses unicode, rather than ascii,
and as such is not compatible with telnet clients.  Any non-ascii
characters the frontend sends over this interface will be interpreted as
control codes by a telnet client, resulting in wholly unpredictable
behavior.