[mythtv-users] Getting Connection refused when trying to telnet to port 6546

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Mon Apr 4 04:58:22 UTC 2011

I am running a recently compiled version of mythtv.  The file version is
v0.25pre-1625-gbbf345c.

I have a mythpowerbutton.pl script that I have used for years to shut
down the frontend and then put the monitor to sleep.  Within the last
few days this script stopped working and what I have found is that I can
not telnet to port 6546 and the frontend log has the following error:
"NetworkControl failed to bind to port 6546"

Normally when I see this it means that the bit in the database got
flipped but when looking in the database and in the setup port 6546 is
set to enabled.  I then did a netstat to see if anything was using port
6546 and nothing is using that port.

Any ideas on what I should look at next?

I should mention that I am using Fedora 12.  I know it is an old one but
I have not been able to upgrade it yet.