[mythtv-users] AVCHD camcorder video playback

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:55:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Stephen Robertson
> <stephengrobertson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've had the files from a Sony HDRXR150E HD HandyCam play both with VLC
>>> (High CPU requirement) and best (in lo CPU terms) under mythbuntu / mythtv
>>> 0.23 fixes / mythavtest / vdpau.  I've not been able to clarify whether they
>>> are 1080i or p files, I did confirm the 1080 bit.  Sound was fine too.
>>>
>>> I've not figured out how to directly import those files into the mythtv
>>> system, no doubt there is some simple way.
>>
>> I was guessing/hoping that if I picked one that had a supported recording
>> format then adding the file extension in mythvideo would be all that would
>> be required.
>
> Linux plays the files from my JVC - just not efficiently..  I have not
> tried in a year, but will try when I get home tonight for sure.  I
> have never tried with a vdpau display.
>
> I'll report back - as well as codec specifics related to the JVC.

So here is a JVC (vixia hf line of camcorder) made video.  My
quad-core laptop has a real hard time chewing on this, but mythtv with
vdpau churned through it just fine..

General
ID                               : 0
Complete name                    : 00028.MTS
Format                           : BDAV
Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video
File size                        : 26.9 MiB
Duration                         : 9s 450ms
Overall bit rate                 : 23.7 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate         : 24.0 Mbps

Video
ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High at L4.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
Duration                         : 9s 376ms
Bit rate                         : 22.5 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.362
Stream size                      : 25.1 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Duration                         : 9s 504ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 256 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Video delay                      : -67ms
Stream size                      : 297 KiB (1%)