[mythtv-users] .23/.24 NFS mounting / Storage Groups

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Oct 21 00:01:09 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 19:56, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 05:44:39 pm Raymond Wagner wrote
>> RAID0 is actually a detriment to recording performance.  If given
>> independent drives, MythTV will default to balancing the load evenly
>> across multiple drives.  Each drive will only have to seek between the
>> recordings it is directly handling.  When doing RAID0,  every disk will
>> be dealing with every recording, seeking back and forth between each,
>> and your total throughput diminishes accordingly.
> Quite true, but commflagging is mostly a read operation, which RAID0 will improve, though there will be some writing to the database as well, which is the reason I keep the DB separate from media storage.

Commflagging is a mostly decode and process operation.  CPU performance
is nowhere near sufficient enough to allow you to saturate a hard drive
trying to commflag a recording on it.  If you're running multiple
operations on a multi-core processor, chances are the recordings are
going to fall on separate hard drives, and separate drives would still
result in higher performance than RAID0 due to lack of seeking between
recordings.