[mythtv-users] .23/.24 NFS mounting / Storage Groups

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 23:57:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/2010 19:36, Brian Wood wrote:

>>> Are the disks really stressed during commflag? I have a single disk SATA
>>> 7200 RPM drive that records 3 HD streams from a HDHR while doing commflag
>>> at the same time. Disk IO has never been a bottleneck on the system.
>>>
>>> If you do want to spread the work, your best bet for simplicity is more
>>> physical drives in the same system. You can use mdtools or LVM to strip
>>> data across two disks. to spread the work.
>>
>> Linear RAID or RAID 0 will "spread the load" and increase apparent disk
>> performance, but also increase the probability of losing the array's
>> contents due to a disk failure, as those systems provide no redundancy.
>
> RAID0 is actually a detriment to recording performance.  If given
> independent drives, MythTV will default to balancing the load evenly across
> multiple drives.  Each drive will only have to seek between the recordings
> it is directly handling.  When doing RAID0,  every disk will be dealing with
> every recording, seeking back and forth between each, and your total
> throughput diminishes accordingly.

The raid setup is mdadm(md) raid5 with LVM on top(5x1GB sata).  CPU
load(md) is never more then 2%.  Not really interested in any other
raid configurations.

Same type of raid setup on the Xen box.  I do not want to put tuner
cards in the Xen box.

The setup is 6 HD PCI(e) tuners.  So often in prime time I have 6 HD
recordings running and 4 instances of flagging.

So getting back to my original question about spreading the I/O
between systems.  NFS is the only option correct?.  Unlike the xen
guest that streams from the back end for flagging.  Think I read also
different methods of load balancing.