[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and Gnome or mythfrontend sans window manager with firefox?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Oct 12 18:01:24 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 13:14, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>>   On 10/12/2010 12:27 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> the last time I tried this a few years back it didn't work,
>>> mythfrontend would die but I couldn't get the window manager to.
>> That simply means that X was waiting on the window manager instead of
>> waiting on mythfrontend.  So, a simple reordering of the script you used to
>> start the window manager and mythfrontend would have fixed it.
> I tried, perhaps it was just the window manager I was trying at the
> time, but nothing short of a lirc script to kill the window manager as
> root solved the issue.

That sounds like a bug in your window manager.  A year or so ago, I ran
into some issue like this with evilwm.  I was running trunk, and the
frontend was a bit unstable.  The frontend would crash and take down X,
followed by inittab starting everything right back up.  Evilwm was not
terminating gracefully when it lost access to the X server, but rather
went into an idle loop, consuming all free CPU time.