[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and Gnome or mythfrontend sans window manager with firefox?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Oct 10 19:01:44 UTC 2010

On 10/10/2010 14:36, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 13:24 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> you still want some form of window manager to handle
>> the Z level
> What is "Z level"?

That is the 'depth' of windows.  Which ones show up on top of others.

>> and focus.
> IMHO, this is a common misconception.  I know I will get an argument
> about this but I have run Myth for many (i.e. since about 0.18 or 0.19)
> years without ever using a window manager and have never had a problem.
> Even when I used to use mplayer as an external video player (that's how
> long I have been using Myth).

Assuming you were using LIRC to control both MythTV and Mplayer, you
were operating completely independent of focus.  LIRC sends events to
any application that will listen, and while mplayer was open,
mythfrontend was simply ignoring any events.  Had you needed keyboard or
mouse input for anything, you would have very quickly run into
inconsistent and uncontrollable behavior.