[mythtv-users] hauppauge hd pvr, product id 0x4903

William Cahill thuhfreak at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 05:06:33 UTC 2010

maybe someone here can help me.

I've recently purchased a hauppauge hd pvr 1212, since i heard it was
pretty well supported in linux and mythtv.  but i seem to have hit a
snag.  i updated the firmware on a windows machine.  then i tried in
vain to get the hdpvr driver working in linux and gave up.  i tried
the one in 2.6.35, and the one from linuxtv.org's hg tree.  both
seemed to load fine, except they never see the actual hardware, and
never register anything in /dev/.

then i tried the device on mac, with hdpvrcapture.  that did work.  so
i know its not a hdwr problem.  but hdpvrcapture on mac can't do live,
so i tried out elgato/eyetv, just to see whats up.  eyetv failed to
see the device though, just like linux.  after searching through the
forums on elgato, i found a link which says that haup released a new
product ID for this device; the new one is 0x4903.  the previous ones
were 0x4901, 4902 and 4982.  i checked mac's system profiler, and my
haup is a 0x4903 (the new one).  elgato was caught off guard by this
new product id, and i figured maybe the the guys who did the linux
driver hadn't expected it either.  so i tried hand modifying hdpvr.h
(in the kernel tree), adding the new product id (around line 34), and
to hdpvr-core.c (around 63).  maybe haup didn't do anything to the
box, just changed the prod id.

this was a pretty big step, because finally the driver sees the
device.  now when i modprobe hdpvr, i get /dev/video0 to show up in
/dev/.  but when i cat /dev/video0, i get an input/output error.  from
what i can see in the driver & /var/log/messages, it looks like the
width/height/fps of the stream is 0.  it fails after that.  which
obviously, isn't very good.

can any one point me in the right direction on getting this driver
working?  is my hunch right; that the driver didn't anticipate the
0x4903 and maybe needs to get updated for it?  anything i can do to
help that along?  (am i asking in the right place?)

tia