[mythtv-users] Configuring Hauppauge 1600 for capture

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Tue Nov 30 16:15:46 UTC 2010

> Okay, so I guess you're ready to configure MythTV to use it.  Here's a
> guide:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600

I followed this to get the card working but it doesn't get into how one would have an external source working.

> You'll want to create a new video source, you can call it something like
> "Satellite".  Then you create an input connection, which links the
> analog capture card with your listings source.  You'll need to specify a
> channel change script (you can use /bin/true for testing, which won't
> actually change a channel, but should let you test that you get video).
> You won't actually scan for channels, but rather you will just download
> the list of channels from SD.

This was the missing piece of the puzzle. Upon going through these steps, when I fired up the FE, the channel that the W5 receiver is on came up on the screen.

I do have audio but it's slow motion along with the video.

> Once you get recordings working this way, the next step is to configure
> your IR blaster so that it actually changes the satellite STB channel to
> the channel that MythTV wants when it goes to record.

I get the picture now (pun intended) so your reply helped a lot, thanks.