[mythtv-users] Configuring Hauppauge 1600 for capture

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Tue Nov 30 05:39:06 UTC 2010

  On 11/29/2010 6:29 PM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>>   I'd start here:
>>   http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1600
> Ya, that's where I did start actually :). It's how I got the tuner portion done but what's not clear to me at this point is the analog capture side of things.
>
>>   You'll need to download the firmware from Conexant and copy it to your
>>   /lib/firmware folder.
> The files are already installed there. I used the mythdora DVD to install myth. I believe it was also confirmed in another post that drivers don't need to be installed, it's all there. Just need to know how to set up the capture side of things now, along with how to get guide data working.
>
> I'm going to use the analog input to connect the output of my W5 satellite service. SD has guide data for the service so this is what I'm trying to figure out at this point.

Okay, so I guess you're ready to configure MythTV to use it.  Here's a
guide:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600

You'll want to create a new video source, you can call it something like
"Satellite".  Then you create an input connection, which links the
analog capture card with your listings source.  You'll need to specify a
channel change script (you can use /bin/true for testing, which won't
actually change a channel, but should let you test that you get video).
You won't actually scan for channels, but rather you will just download
the list of channels from SD.

Once you get recordings working this way, the next step is to configure
your IR blaster so that it actually changes the satellite STB channel to
the channel that MythTV wants when it goes to record.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin