[mythtv-users] [mythtv] BrowserBased setup

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 11:16:03 UTC 2010

On 25 November 2010 10:07, Per Lundberg <perlun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Any effort at changing the setup methodology should take into account
>>> that there are two very different use cases: Initial setup, and, once
>>> that is done, the occasional need to tweak a setting or two, or perhaps
>>> add a capture device or modify a remote control configuration.
>> The most common one, to rescan one or two muxes that have changed, this seems to be almost a weekly occurrence on 28E & 19E
>
> This actually brings up a pretty interesting thing: we should consider
> doing "automatic" re-scanning of existing transports. This could be
> e.g. a nightly job, running at times when there is little risk that it
> would interfere with the frontends. (If it is implemented in a smart
> way, it shouldn't even run if the cards are busy recording.)
>
> This would make it possible to give a message the next time the
> frontend is started saying "10 new channels available. Press OK to
> view the list or Cancel to abort."
>
> tvheadend (part of the hts project) has a feature similar to this,
> albeit not as sophisticated as the method I'm proposing. What it does
> is that as soon as you've added a new card, it starts scanning it for
> channels in the background. Pretty nice, if you ask me.
> --

Each satellite normally has one channel that contains an EPG.
During idle times, myth could switch to this channel and look for any
changes in the channel-transport mapping.
Also, while playing a tv channel, there is channel-transport
information in the MUX, so myth could detect any differences even
while watching live tv.
I am working on implementing the EPG for 28E.