[mythtv-users] Really washed out picture since upgrade to 0.24.0

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Nov 21 13:05:36 UTC 2010

On 20/11/2010 18:17, Andre wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2010, at 17:47, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>> I've just upgraded from 0.23.1 to 0.24.0 with the hope to avoid
>> a problem that was causing my backend to crash every now and then,
>> and now I have a washed out picture. Bright scenes don't look too
>> different, but dark scenes are very grey and I don't get strong
>> blacks at all now, during playback. The background of the "Please
>> wait" notice is still black though.
>>
>> This is svn 27251 on an ION board. I've also jumped nvidia drivers
>> from 260.19.12 to 260.19.21, but I wouldn't have imagined that was
>> the cause.
>>
>> I've noticed the picture controls work, although I have them disabled,
>> but I've never looked at them in 0.23.1, so I don't know if this is
>> new in 0.24. I have all the picture controls set to 50%.
>>
>> I'm using the vdpaustudio filter. Perhaps I shouldn't now?
>
> Sounds like studio levels on a display that is wanting full range to me.

Turns out that you were sort of right. My TV can handle video and PC
levels. I had it set to autodetect. Something has changed in either
MythTv, minimyth, or the nvidia drivers to cause my TV to start
misrecognising video levels as PC levels. When I explicitly set it
to video levels, picture is back to perfection. :-)

Thanks for help,
	Paul.