[mythtv-users] how many people have upgraded to 0.24?

Quinten Steenhuis qsteenhuis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:03:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Paul Wilson
<mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
> I know my MythTV box is a critical piece of infrastructure  so I have to be
> a bit cautious about any changes, so I'm thinking a week is a reasonable
> time to wait for the dust to settle.
> I haven't see too many critical problems posted on the list, (right?) so I
> think I will upgrade this weekend.
>
> Any other people upgraded? I know most people who post are having small
> issues, but it would be good to hear positive feedback along with what type
> of system and country.
> eg DVB-T, AU etc..

I regret my upgrade--I took the plunge to try out mythnetvision
(underwhelmed so far, although I'll give it a try).

I may have made a mistake by upgrading both the MythBuntu version and
the MythTV version, but here's the problems I spent several hours on
yesterday:

1) No sound in MythTV, even after correctly selecting the appropriate
audio device following a scan and it was working fine in Mythbrowser
and Firefox. I had to reinstall NVidia drivers from the NVidia
website: the package provided drivers wouldn't fix whatever the issue
was. Working now but wasted hours of troubleshooting.

2) Reappearance of a very annoying bug that intermittently renders the
display completely unresponsive to key or remote presses. This problem
mysteriously disappeared a few updates ago and I don't look forward to
the weeks of troubleshooting to make it go away again, especially as I
am not sure exactly what setting changes fixed it in the past.

3) Slow performance using the CPU++ display profile. I switched to
VDPAU slim which fixed the issues, but I've been using CPU++
successfully for 2 years. No idea why this is causing a problem now.

It's a pain but I'm thinking of trying a downgrade. YMMV and I don't
know whether these problems can be laid at the foot of Mythbuntu or
Mythtv, but I would make sure that you have a compelling reason to
upgrade.