[mythtv-users] Some notes on Google TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 14 20:31:41 UTC 2010

On Sunday, November 14, 2010 01:16:42 pm Brad Templeton wrote:

> They have also integrated the "to watch queue" which puts together the
> DVR recorded shows with RSS video (and audio) feeds you have subscribed
> to.     And while I dislike live TV (as do many of us Myth users) they
> have done some things with live TV, such as menus of 'what's on now"
> grouped by topic.

At least in my home, "What's on now?" has absolutely no meaning at all. The idea of waiting until somebody else decides to
play a program in order for me to watch it just seems ridiculous.

If I have asked Myth to record it, I don't particularly care when it decides to do so, Myth needs to know "what's on?",
but I don't. If I already have it stored, I obviously don't care, and if it's available from one of the many online
sources, it's essentially the same as having it stored locally (with minor exceptions like FF limitations).

Just as clocks and watches made it unnecessary to await the church bell in order to determine the time, technology has
made it unnecessary to wait for someone else (like a network executive) to decide to play a program in order for me to
watch it.

I'm sure our grandchildren will respond with a blank stare if you were to ask them "what's on?".

The one exception I can think of might be live sporting events, but, not being a sports fan, the question "what's on?"
remains irrelevant to my life. I literally can't remember the last time I actually watched something at the same time as
it was "on" (whatever that might mean).

It's sad in a way. In the 1950s and 1960s there was a shared social experience in everyone watching something together,
and talking about it the next day, but those days are long gone.