[mythtv-users] Some notes on Google TV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Nov 14 20:16:42 UTC 2010

On 11/14/2010 04:51 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> thanks for the small write up.
>
> The only thing I have seen about GoogleTV that beats Myth is the
> integrated search across content.
>
> combining MythVideo, MythNetVision and recordings into a single screen
> of "whats available to watch".
>
> With regard to the arrow keys/keyboard comparison... thats purely up
> to the implementor with MythTV... Afterall you can always turn off the
> onscreen keyboard and use a remote/radio/ir keyboard such as the tiny
> lenovo / logitch ones.
>
> thanks for the info though

They have also integrated the "to watch queue" which puts together the
DVR recorded shows with RSS video (and audio) feeds you have subscribed
to.     And while I dislike live TV (as do many of us Myth users) they
have done some things with live TV, such as menus of 'what's on now"
grouped by topic.

However, the important thing to consider here is that this is really the
0.1 of Google TV.   At present it comes with only a handful of android
apps and no app store.   However, soon it is going to have every phone
app that makes sense on a TV, and a whole raft of specialty
TV/houseputer related apps from the very large android dev community.

On the other hand, it probably won't gain functions that involve access
to the raw video stream, such as transcode, sped-up playback or
commercial elimination.    Though somebody will probably write a "cloud"
based commercial eliminator (which gathers aggregate data of what
sections of a program people are fast-forwarding over to make a cutlist,
and then improves it as cutlist users themselves make adjustments when
it went too far or too little.)     Such an eliminator is useful because
nothing networks do can fool it.  It will be interesting to see if
Hollywood can ban it.

I also expect a web interface, but probably done in the cloud like other
big PVRs, rather than a web server port on the GTV box.