[mythtv-users] Another Mythmusic Idea: The Infinite Walkman

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri May 28 18:28:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com
> wrote:

> Wow. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for !
>
> Anyone looking for this (David Whyte !) should take a look at Subsonic.
>
> The two drawbacks I see are 1) another large daemon running on the backend,
> and 2) they have an odd model of wanting domains for the Android apps to
> function.  But, as open-source goes this is a well done application.
>
> Reading through the forums, it looks like the direction the Android app is
> going is almost exactly what I had outlined in my first proposal.

I've been fooling with it since I saw it posted here. Nice app. I would
really like better playlist management and such, but I could probably add
those to the code if I wanted to. I also discovered that 3G and high bitrate
MP3 don't get along. :) I'll have to add another user and set it up to limit
the bitrate with the auto-transcoding feature. It would be cool if the
Android app could do that, even if just based on the network type it's
connected to. But just limiting the user I use with the phone should be good
enough, it's not like the built in audio hardware is all that great.

I also wish it were a little more metadata based rather than file path
based, but that's not that big of a deal with the various tools out there to
move files based on tags. It works fine with my iTunes library, other than
all the audiobooks showing up in there. iTunesExport and some bash scripting
should fix that up though.