[mythtv-users] Another Mythmusic Idea: The Infinite Walkman

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Fri May 28 18:01:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010, Matt Beadon wrote:

> A friend pointed me to Subsonic
> (http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp).  The big difference in
> terms of the connectivity is that it caches a good chunk before
> playing it so it seems relatively immune to network drops or even
> switching from 3G to Edge to wifi.  I configured it to point to the
> same files as mythmusic and now I can listen to my collection from my
> pc at work or on my android.  I can also create random playlists from
> any web connected pc and browse the playlists or full collection on my
> android.
>
> The clincher for me was that it has a feature to download all the
> album art in my collection without selecting each album.  It didn't
> get 100% but it got enough for me to be hooked.

Wow. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for !

Anyone looking for this (David Whyte !) should take a look at Subsonic.

The two drawbacks I see are 1) another large daemon running on the backend,
and 2) they have an odd model of wanting domains for the Android apps to
function.  But, as open-source goes this is a well done application.

Reading through the forums, it looks like the direction the Android app is
going is almost exactly what I had outlined in my first proposal.

Matt -- thanks for this pointer !

-Chris