[mythtv-users] Cleaning my DB?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri May 28 15:48:13 UTC 2010

> Note that the partial restore instructions state that, "A partial
> restore...is primarily useful as a last-resort when some of the data in the
> database is corrupt (or, more precisely, a 2nd-to-last resort--as starting
> over from scratch would be a true last resort). In general, do not do a
> partial restore--instead do a full restore."  Please do not even consider
> doing a partial restore until you completely read and understand
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
> .
>
> Then, once you understand that section, do a full restore as mentioned
> above.  Cleaning up your OS, then cleaning your Input Connections (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 ) will give
> you a very clean/fast MythTV system.
>
> Mike

Mike,

While I agree that there are few reasons that a properly maintained
myth system should ever need to use a partial restore... there are
reasons why one might want to use it.

I like to start from a clean slate every now and again.  I often find
that I make changes to the system to suit my needs one time... then
forget about it... those changes will often come back to haunt me.
Starting with a fresh DB allows me to go through and reconfigure
everything the way I want it going forward knowing that nothing I did
in the past will make my life difficult.

It's kinda like reloading windows (for those of us who still have to
do that).  Sure you could probably fix anything that is bothering you,
but sometimes starting clean and spending a couple of days setting
things up exactly the way you want them puts you in a better position
going forward, while also clearing up any issues that you may have
created for yourself in the past.

I agree that there are some concerns... but if, like me, you spent a
version or two getting the feel for myth and now you want to get
'serious' and start clean, a partial restore is a good way to do that.