[mythtv-users] Cleaning my DB?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 28 16:15:10 UTC 2010

On 05/28/2010 11:48 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>> Note that the partial restore instructions state that, "A partial
>> restore...is primarily useful as a last-resort when some of the data in the
>> database is corrupt (or, more precisely, a 2nd-to-last resort--as starting
>> over from scratch would be a true last resort). In general, do not do a
>> partial restore--instead do a full restore."  Please do not even consider
>> doing a partial restore until you completely read and understand
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
>> .
>>
>> Then, once you understand that section, do a full restore as mentioned
>> above.  Cleaning up your OS, then cleaning your Input Connections (
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 ) will give
>> you a very clean/fast MythTV system.
>>
> While I agree that there are few reasons that a properly maintained
> myth system should ever need to use a partial restore... there are
> reasons why one might want to use it.
>
> I like to start from a clean slate every now and again.  I often find
> that I make changes to the system to suit my needs one time... then
> forget about it... those changes will often come back to haunt me.
> Starting with a fresh DB allows me to go through and reconfigure
> everything the way I want it going forward knowing that nothing I did
> in the past will make my life difficult.
>
> It's kinda like reloading windows (for those of us who still have to
> do that).  Sure you could probably fix anything that is bothering you,
> but sometimes starting clean and spending a couple of days setting
> things up exactly the way you want them puts you in a better position
> going forward, while also clearing up any issues that you may have
> created for yourself in the past.
>
> I agree that there are some concerns... but if, like me, you spent a
> version or two getting the feel for myth and now you want to get
> 'serious' and start clean, a partial restore is a good way to do that.

No.  The right way to "start clean" is to reset the settings to
defaults.  The right way to do that is to click the button that resets
the settings to the defaults.  (This button does not yet exist.)

Basically, a partial restore is throwing out the baby with the bath
water.  You're going through a ton of trouble, and all you're
accomplishing is resetting settings to their defaults (and losing a ton
of useful information in the process).  I plan to add the ability to
reset settings to defaults.  I just have to get time to do it.

Mike