[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:52:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Justin Johnson
> <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> Thanks Justin. That's good info and I really appreciate the link.

You're welcome.

> Yes, it would be a little strange that I'd never program a new
> recording using the DVR itself. I'd only look at the list of existing
> recordings to see what I want to watch. I agree that the idea might
> feel sort of awkward compared to the way I currently use Myth. It's
> separating the setup of recordings from the process of watching them.
>
> On the other hand, it means I can program the DVR from any PC in my
> house which is a positive. It also bypasses the whole problem of
> dealing with encryption as it just leaves the recording in the
> ownership of the box that recorded it.

You could even just not run mythfrontend and have just the backend
going with mythweb. Then you don't use the remote to schedule
recordings at all. If you have an iPhone or such you could use that as
your scheduler. I think the transition would be akin to transitioning
from a traditional DVR to MythTV. It's going to be different, but the
advantages could outweigh the learning curve. I say go for it and let
me know how it goes!

One other note, and this may not be important to you but I know it
would be to my family, LiveTV would be pretty wonky as you wouldn't
really know when a recording would be about to start.
--Justin Johnson