[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue May 25 16:46:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>wrote:

> Not really - how are you going to watch them if the box is busy
> recoding? How are you going to even know it's recording when you're
> not using the mythfrontend interface? From the sound of this you will
> only be able to watch if one of your 2 tuners is not recording, and
> even then to do it you'll be creating on screen menu artifacts for
> your other recording when you switch inputs.

He's not using myth to record or display recordings. That's all handled by
the STB's internal software. So Myth is only handling scheduling in this
case. As Myth isn't recording, it doesn't matter that the menu and such will
be displayed, the STB already handles that properly. It's an interesting
idea, but it would drive me nuts not being able to play things back on Myth,
only on the STB. So I would have to train people on 2 interfaces, and when
to use which one. Argh. The aggravation alone is worth $200/tuner for HD-PVR
boxes. If only we had sane rules on Cable/Sat to allow direct stream
recording and playback using a card for decryption like the DVB users seem
to.