[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue May 25 16:39:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Justin Johnson
> <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>
>> I think what you're trying to do here is certainly possible, and makes
>> sense to me. My parents have D* and I've wondered for a while what it
>> would take to get them on Myth. I've considered the HDPVR, but as you
>> said it's quite expensive, and the D* DVR is quite good, especially
>> compared to the cable DVRs. I don't see any reason why you couldn't
>> set up a dummy tuner (actually two since the D* box has 2), add your
>> D* lineup and add your recording rules. Then, modify the channel
>> change script to hit 'record' after entering the channel number. I see
>> this working over IR blaster. It would be weird because you couldn't
>> ever set up any recording rules on the directv box, as it would
>> potentially interfere with the "mythtv" recording schedule. It's an
>> interesting thought though and it would be neat to see someone put
>> this into practice.
>>
>> If the main reason you want to do this is for multi-room viewing, you
>> can add that to your D* service for $3/mo if you've been using the
>> beta. See: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590
>> --Justin Johnson
>
> Thanks Justin. That's good info and I really appreciate the link.
>
> Yes, it would be a little strange that I'd never program a new
> recording using the DVR itself. I'd only look at the list of existing
> recordings to see what I want to watch. I agree that the idea might
> feel sort of awkward compared to the way I currently use Myth. It's
> separating the setup of recordings from the process of watching them.

Not really - how are you going to watch them if the box is busy
recoding? How are you going to even know it's recording when you're
not using the mythfrontend interface? From the sound of this you will
only be able to watch if one of your 2 tuners is not recording, and
even then to do it you'll be creating on screen menu artifacts for
your other recording when you switch inputs.

MythTv separates recordings from playback in that you don't watch the
STB directly, you watch an instance of Mythfrontend.