[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:51:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>> ?????
>>>
>>> I don't pay ANYTHING to get DirecTV's DVR service. It's just part of
>>> the HD package I got. No additional costs.
>>
>> People here are just trying telling you what is possible to do with
>> myth today.  If there are other things to due, it is open source, you
>> are welcome to modify it to meet your needs, but today, it isn't built
>> to fill your specific use case, but it is unrealistic to expect any of
>> the devs to pick it up and put their work into it.  To be honest I
>> find it a bit rude to complain about not wanting to spend a couple
>> hundred dollars, and at the same time hoping the people will volunteer
>> many hours of their time to do something for you, as if their time
>> wasn't worth much more then that.
>
> I agree.
>
> My HDPVR adds 218 channels (that's after I removed stuff I will never
> watch (certain news carriers, and all sports channels) and that's also
> not counting the music channels.
>
> That's less than $1 a channel and I'm able to commercial flag it and
> transcode it to playback on my iPhone or other portable device.
>
> I was forced to use the DTV dual tuner dvr for a while and I admit
> it's far better than some other vendor provided solutions.
>
> MythTv is a much larger solution.
>
> -Johnny

I think what you're trying to do here is certainly possible, and makes
sense to me. My parents have D* and I've wondered for a while what it
would take to get them on Myth. I've considered the HDPVR, but as you
said it's quite expensive, and the D* DVR is quite good, especially
compared to the cable DVRs. I don't see any reason why you couldn't
set up a dummy tuner (actually two since the D* box has 2), add your
D* lineup and add your recording rules. Then, modify the channel
change script to hit 'record' after entering the channel number. I see
this working over IR blaster. It would be weird because you couldn't
ever set up any recording rules on the directv box, as it would
potentially interfere with the "mythtv" recording schedule. It's an
interesting thought though and it would be neat to see someone put
this into practice.

If the main reason you want to do this is for multi-room viewing, you
can add that to your D* service for $3/mo if you've been using the
beta. See: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590
--Justin Johnson