[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:19:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM, freedenizen <freedenizen at gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> ?????
>>
>> I don't pay ANYTHING to get DirecTV's DVR service. It's just part of
>> the HD package I got. No additional costs.
>
> People here are just trying telling you what is possible to do with
> myth today.  If there are other things to due, it is open source, you
> are welcome to modify it to meet your needs, but today, it isn't built
> to fill your specific use case, but it is unrealistic to expect any of
> the devs to pick it up and put their work into it.  To be honest I
> find it a bit rude to complain about not wanting to spend a couple
> hundred dollars, and at the same time hoping the people will volunteer
> many hours of their time to do something for you, as if their time
> wasn't worth much more then that.

I agree.

My HDPVR adds 218 channels (that's after I removed stuff I will never
watch (certain news carriers, and all sports channels) and that's also
not counting the music channels.

That's less than $1 a channel and I'm able to commercial flag it and
transcode it to playback on my iPhone or other portable device.

I was forced to use the DTV dual tuner dvr for a while and I admit
it's far better than some other vendor provided solutions.

MythTv is a much larger solution.

-Johnny