[mythtv-users] HDPVR Causing Backend to Hard Freeze

Jason Sharpe mythtv.list at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:44:25 UTC 2010

> Message: 21
> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:51:50 -0700
> From: Patrick McKinney <mythtv at prmckinney.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HDPVR Causing Backend to Hard Freeze
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 5/23/2010 9:43 PM, Jason Sharpe wrote:
> > When one recording is ending on a tuner and another is beginning on my
> > HDPVR my whole backend hard freezes requiring a push of the reset
> > button for the PC to come back up.
> >
> > Details:
> > HD Homerun using Tuner 0 (Over the Air ATSC)
> > HDPVR and a Dishnetwork ViP 211k receiver (Component and SPDIF)
> >
> > Note: IR blasting is done via a homebrew serial blaster, I am _not_
> > using the HDPVR for blasting.
>
> I highly suggest moving from the homebrew serial IR blaster to the HDPVR
> built in IR blaster.  I have the exact same setup, and had the exact
> same problems.  I finally caught it live and saw that LIRC was throwing
> some sort of error (sorry don't recall the details).  I switched over
> the HVPVR IR blaster as a shot in the dark, and haven't had a lock-up
> since (over two months now).
>
> Patrick

Thanks Patrick, when I first got the HDPVR I went back and forth trying to
decide to use the serial blaster or the HDPVR blaster. I had seen there were
some issues getting the HDPVR Blaster to work so I went with the same method
I had been using for years, guess it was the wrong choice. DOH

I think I will switch the blaster over to the HDPVR tonight.