[mythtv-users] HDPVR Causing Backend to Hard Freeze

Enigma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Tue May 25 16:41:12 UTC 2010

mythtv.list at gmail wrote:

> > I highly suggest moving from the homebrew serial IR blaster to the HDPVR
> > built in IR blaster. I have the exact same setup, and had the exact
> > same problems. I finally caught it live and saw that LIRC was throwing
> > some sort of error (sorry don't recall the details). I switched over
> > the HVPVR IR blaster as a shot in the dark, and haven't had a lock-up
> > since (over two months now).
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> Thanks Patrick, when I first got the HDPVR I went back and forth trying to
> decide to use the serial blaster or the HDPVR blaster. I had seen there were
> some issues getting the HDPVR Blaster to work so I went with the same method
> I had been using for years, guess it was the wrong choice. DOH
>
> I think I will switch the blaster over to the HDPVR tonight.

A warning, your mileage may vary with this solution.  I tried to get
the blaster on my new HD-PVR working a few weeks ago and it caused
extreme instability for the HD-PVR.  The backend didn't freeze, but it
lost all connectivity to the HD-PVR which required a power cycle and
module reload to remedy.  I have seen many people on the list report
the same problem, Patrick is the only one I can recall saying it is
working for him.

In Jarod's post (http://wilsonet.com/?p=40) describing how to get the
blaster to work using his patches he says "I believe at this stage,
very few (if any) people have been able to actually use the IR part on
their HD PVR under Linux reliably. At some point or another, while in
the middle of video capture, the device completely deadlocks, and has
to be reinitialized. Looking into the root cause of this is on my TODO
list, but its a long list…".   Obviously you are welcome to try it but
you might want to also look into fixing your current blaster or
looking into other channel changing solutions (i.e. serial connection
for DirecTV, firewire for cable, etc).