[mythtv-users] Small TV or monitor with good quality sound?

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Fri May 21 18:22:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> I'm looking for something which should exist, but doesn't seem to: a small
> (17" or smaller) TV or monitor with built-in speakers that can display
> content in HD aspect ratio, yet also has decent sound at loud-ish volume.
>
> I know, most of you are probably thinking, "Why not just get a good monitor
> and use external speakers?" Because the idea is to have a display with a
> mini-ITX box for a FE attached to the back of it. This would be mounted to a
> swivel arm, so that it can be used in the kitchen and breakfast nook.
>
> Adding external speakers will either:
>
> - bloat the overall size of the display, not to mention look ugly, if they
> are mounted aside the monitor
>
> - or not provide a good viewing experience if they are too far from the
> monitor (like if I put them near the breakfast table.)
>
> It's hard enough to find decent quality, small-sized monitors--never mind
> ones with decent speakers. Has anyone seen anything that fits the bill?

I have bought 3 TV's that are pretty much as described, one for
myself, one for a friend, and one for my in-laws, and probably not
surprisingly they are all used in kitchens. Mine is a JVC, one is I
think Zenith (or maybe Phillips?) and I don't recall the third one.
Mine is 17", wide screen, but I don't think it's HD resolution. It
does have all the usual inputs, analog Cable, VGA, component, S-Video
and composite, and it's extremely loud, with the volume at the second
lowest level it's almost too loud for the kitchen. I can't get the
model number as it's solidly mounted at the moment, but it will be
coming down soon, so I can get it if it's wanted.  (After a quick
Google, I think it's this one:
http://products.howstuffworks.com/jvc-lt-17x576-17-inch-lcd-tv-review.htm)

I got them all used on ebay, for less than $100 each, so they do exist!

Tom