[mythtv-users] What replaces irw when using atilibusb for the remote receiver?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Thu May 13 02:26:06 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>>> Not sure if there's a menu item you can select for that thing or not.
>>> But basically, its a receiver that ties into the linux kernel's input
>>> subsystem, and creates a device /dev/input/eventX for the remote, and
>>> delivers keypresses to the system as if they were keyboard keys a la a
>>> multimedia keyboard, more or less. You can use such devices with lirc
>>> by telling lircd to use the devinput userspace driver instead of the
>>> default driver (lirc kernel driver), and for device, pointing lircd at
>>> /dev/input/eventX for the device (or more appropriately, as X may
>>> change, at the symlink to /dev/input/eventX that should land in
>>> /dev/input/by-id/<some-string-that-identifies-your-receiver>).

>>> Separate issues. Definitely repair your db, but yeah, its not related.

>>> See above. :) There is no /dev/lirc0 for this device type.
>>>

>> Wow, great guess;
>>

> Not so much a guess as it is a case of knowing damned near every
> device supported by all the popular lirc kernel drivers, having way
> too many of them in my possession, and spending many many hours
> hacking on pretty much all of the lirc kernel drivers over the past
> few years... :)
>

>> it is a keyboard device.  I opened a terminal and half the
>> buttons give me characters on the command line.  Also, it created:
>>
>> /dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd
>>
>> I still need to adjust some of the buttons, so I guess I have to use lircd.
>>  I'm a little confused on the instructions though.  How do I have to tell
>> lircd to use devinput, and how to point lircd to
>> /dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd?  By the
>> way, is this worth doing?  I could just buy an inexpensive remote that plugs
>> in with little effort.
>>

> All you need to do is a bit of editing in /etc/sysconfig/lirc. Set
> LIRC_DRIVER="devinput" and
> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd"
> in there, and from the lirc-remotes package (yum install lirc-remotes,
> if need be), grab /usr/share/lirc-remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput
> and copy it to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf. Start up lircd, then give irw a
> try, and it should spit out key names for you. Then its just a matter
> of mapping those appropriately for mythtv via your lircrc file.
>
> In the future, when mythtv grows native linux input layer support,
> things will (hopefully) magically Just Work right out of the box... :)

OK, that was easy.  I have most of the buttons giving me message in irw
now.  Most of the buttons worked in MythDora also (but not the back
button), so I made a couple of picks in the infrared setup.  Now the
buttons don't work so well in irw anymore; I don't think I chose
wisely.  Any suggestions on which selections for remote control model
and override?