[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

William Suetholz wsuetholz at centonline.com
Wed May 12 21:45:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 15:34 -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> correct.
> >>

> > Are there any HDMI devices - especially internal cards - that we know
> > of that allow content protected material to be recorded and played
> > back by Myth?
>
> Part of the HDMI spec, is copy protection all the way through to the
> display device.  While not all STBs turn that copy protection on, most
> do, and they probably all will before long.  The only sure way of
> being able to record is to keep it in the analog domain which does not
> have copy protection.  That is why Hauppauge went with a component
> capture device instead of HDMI.
>
> Turning 1920x1080i or 1280x720p analog video into H.264 takes quite a
> bit of muscle.  That is why the Hauppauge HD-PVRs are external
> devices, and why they are as expensive as they are.  If you really
> think about it, the HD-PVR is actually fairly inexpensive for what it
> does compared to a ATSC/QAM capture device.
>
> BTW, the HD-PVR uses a 5v/3a wall-wart.
>
> Personally, I use a HDHomeRun hooked up to an antenna to get all the
> OTA stations.  I only use the HD-PVR hooked up to the STB for the
> non-OTA stations.  The vast majority of my recording is via OTA, and I
> really could probably get by with just one STB/HD-PVR combo, but I
> decided it was worth the extra $ to have a second one.
>
> John

You can always go the route of HDMI --> HDMI2Component --> HD-PVR.

I have a HDMI to Component device that I'm using to connect to my TV
that has a broken HDMI port, but 2 Component Video ports.  None of these
small frontends do component video out any more.  Not using a cable box
or blueray, so don't know how the device reacts to "protected" content.

Bill