[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Sun May 9 20:23:20 UTC 2010

On 05/08/2010 02:51 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM, John P Poet<jppoet at gmail.com>  wrote:
> <SNIP
>
>> BTW, the HD-PVR uses a 5v/3a wall-wart.
>>

> 5V @ 3A is 15 Watts. If it's turned on all the time then I think the
> power used is:
>
> 15 * 24 * 365 = 131.4 KWH/year
>
> The incremental electricity rate at the high end of my bill is
> currently $0.43/KWH so that's $56/year or about $4.66/month.
>
> It's about $1/month at the low rate on my bill, but that goes to
> necessities... ;-)
>
> Note that this sort of consumption is typical for just about every
> wall wart plugged into my house.
>
> - Mark

If you can setup the backend PC to wake up when needed, you could use a
switch or power strip that has a "master" plug with one or more "slave"
plugs that only get power when the master is turned on.  The mythtv PC
plugs into the master outlet and the HDPVR into a slave outlet.  Then
the HDPVR is only on when the backend is on.   I am using
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=P7GB.
It has three slave plugs to one master.

Alan