[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Robert rs at mythtv-users.spam.futz.org
Tue May 11 13:37:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:23:42 -0400 Patrick wrote:

PD> > This is happening to me too, also on Ubuntu (MythBUntu)... The last
PD> > recording was 3:30 am on Sunday.. It seems odd for this to be happening to
PD> > multiple people all of the sudden...
PD>
PD> me too... I assumed it had to do with a broken tuner (that has
PD> mysteriously stopped working following a power outage).  I can't tune
PD> in any OTA channels with that tuner anymore.  Until I saw this topic
PD> on the list, I assumed that this was  a HW failure (which it could
PD> still be).

Well, I was convinced that ubuntu had broken something and would
have dismissed the idea that it could be coincidence... but after several
attempts at deleting tuners/sources and re-adding them with no luck, I found
this in my logs:

Channel(/dev/video0)::Open(): Can't open video device, error "Permission denied"

Changed the permissions, restored a database backup, and was back up and
running in no time... No idea how the permissions got munged, but it seems
like mythtv could detect that and have an error message, instead of sleeping
tuners...

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.