[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 11 16:04:19 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 09:37 AM, Robert wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:23:42 -0400 Patrick wrote:
> PD>  On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Robert<rs at mythtv-users.spam.futz.org>  wrote:
> PD>  >  On Mon, 10 May 2010 09:19:26 -0400 Michael wrote:
> PD>  >  MTD>  >>  I should add that I'm running the stock mythtv (.22-fixes? on Ubuntu
> PD>  >  MTD>  >>  9.10
> PD>  >
> PD>  >  This is happening to me too, also on Ubuntu (MythBUntu)... The last
> PD>  >  recording was 3:30 am on Sunday.. It seems odd for this to be happening to
> PD>  >  multiple people all of the sudden...
> PD>
> PD>  me too... I assumed it had to do with a broken tuner (that has
> PD>  mysteriously stopped working following a power outage).  I can't tune
> PD>  in any OTA channels with that tuner anymore.  Until I saw this topic
> PD>  on the list, I assumed that this was  a HW failure (which it could
> PD>  still be).
>
> Well, I was convinced that ubuntu had broken something and would
> have dismissed the idea that it could be coincidence... but after several
> attempts at deleting tuners/sources and re-adding them with no luck, I found
> this in my logs:
>
> Channel(/dev/video0)::Open(): Can't open video device, error "Permission denied"
>
> Changed the permissions, restored a database backup, and was back up and
> running in no time... No idea how the permissions got munged, but it seems
> like mythtv could detect that and have an error message, instead of sleeping
> tuners...

Show of hands...  Has /anyone/ followed the instructions for how to fix
this?  optimize_mythdb.pl and if that doesn't work, the capture card
portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .  You
all probably fall under the, "If you ever change capture cards or
capture card drivers..." portion of that message--after all, that
happens on distro upgrade.

Mike