[mythtv-users] How to get mythvideo working on a FE only machine.

R. Ramesh rramesh at verizon.net
Sat May 1 20:33:37 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> How are you linking from /var/lib to mythvideos?
>
> it needs to be mounted, not symlinked.
>
> Open a terminal (bash or whatever) and cd /var/lib/mythvideos
>
> if the files are not there, mythfrontend can't see them
>
> people would tend to use the /etc/fstab file to setup auto-mounts
> using nfs or CIFS (samba) to do this.

/var/lib is locally mounted disk (It is in my root file system). So is
the dir /var/lib/mythvideo. However there are bunch of symlinks in
/var/lib/mythvideo that point to dirs inside automounted filesystems.
For example
/var/lib/mythvideo/video0 -> /automount/hosts/luke/video0.  (automount
is anchored on /automount/hosts with
sub process mouting from host luke on /automount/hosts/luke)

BTW, there is no issue in navigating (in FE) well into the file system
that gets automounted. So I know automount is not the problem. Some how
it says that I cannot play the video (DVD) after successfully navigating
to that dir. Note that this directory is 6 levels below the automounted
file system and FE has no issues finding the dir. It just would not play
the DVD. The very same DVD foldter is playable from my mythbuntu box
that has both FE and BE.

Ramesh