[mythtv-users] YAMP Again (Yet Another Media Player, again)

MacLaren, James M maclaren at tulane.edu
Wed Mar 24 19:58:30 UTC 2010

I have the Patriot Box Office. Got a good deal from Tiger Direct ($67
after rebates and using bing cashback) also included their wireless g
usb adapter.  The box works pretty well with mythtv using upnp or an nfs
mount of the files.  The latest firmware (04) works better with upnp
though for unknown reasons sometimes fails for ATSC streams.  These same
files play fine under nfs.  To my pleasant surprise it plays both 720p
and 1080i ATSC files from my hdhr fine over the wireless g network.
There are wireless n adapters for it too but you have to be careful as
it only has a few modules provided.   Of course there is no commercial
skip via upnp or nfs but the little yellow button on the remote advances
30s so that's helpful.  Telnet is enabled so you can poke around.  The
firmware can be unpacked and so presumably repacked and stuff added.
One could flash it.  There is a serial connection inside that allows
recovery form a bad flash but you need to get a $20 adapter. I don't
believe, unlike the wdtv, anyone has flashed their own firmware on it.
People have tried with very limited success to stick the firmware from
other realtek based players on it - tends to screw up the remote.  There
is a forum dedicated to it over at patriot.

James