[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.23 audio settings

Kelly Shutt tetrahedron at whycomehere.com
Sat Mar 20 14:55:01 UTC 2010

I'm having problems getting HDMI audio working properly.  I have
isolated the problem to MythTV at this point, as I can play things
outside MythTV and hear the audio fine.  In fact, I can even launch
videos from MythVideo and the mplayer instance that spawns has perfect
audio.  I just can't get it to work inside MythTV, for playing music and
recordings.

I have gone through several guides and forum postings now, even the one
on the MythTV wiki:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial
Out of the box my ALSA settings were almost correct.  The system was
already seeing appropriate entries in "aplay -l", etc. and I just had to
create an appropriate asound.conf file to force things to HDMI as the
default.  This is included below.
I am running the latest updates of Mythbuntu, which gets their trunk
version from MythTV 0.23 trunk.  I also noticed that the 0.23 version
has different audio settings now, and is completely different from those
settings mentioned on the MythTV wiki.  In fact, SPDIF passthrough
doesn't even show up in the new version anywhere that I can find.  I
have however tried every setting combination I can think of, but MythTV
just refuses to use the right audio channel.

Please scroll down for hardware specs, etc.

Peace,
Kelly

Zotac IONITX-D-E Motherboard, Chipset MCP7A-ION
     -  The latest NVidia 190 drivers are installed and recognized the
HDMI port out of the box.
     -  Video is working great over HDMI, I even get BIOS post to the
screen.
     -  As this is a set top machine, in a small case, I use the onboard
audio/video and do not have any external cards.
4Gb DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
Intel Atom 330 CPU
HVR-2250

/etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3
    }
ctl.!default {            //Added per the MythTV wiki, apparently 0.23
needs this.
        type hw
        card 0
    }

"aplay -l"
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

"aplay -L"
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0