[mythtv-users] Massive Lineup Shift - Best way to handle?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 11 17:37:47 UTC 2010

On 03/10/2010 05:19 PM, Matt S. wrote:
> Time Warner Cable has decided to completely blow away the lineup for
> all channels above 99 (all digital channels) and re-arrange all of
> them on March 31.  I'd be surprised if less than 1% of the channels
> have the same number, and that would only be by coincidence.
>
> Here's my setup, just wanted to see what I need to do to make this as
> smooth as possible (.22-fixes btw)
>
> 1) Analog Channels - They aren't changing, no worries there
> 2) Digital QAM - I get maybe a dozen or so local networks via QAM, and
> I get the listing data from DD.  I know I'll have to rescan.
> 3) HD-PVR - this is set to capture from my STB for any channel>=100
> that I get.  I get the listings data from DD.
>
> What's the appropriate way to get the new channel lineup?

IMHO, it's the video sources portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .  It
can be done differently (with mythfilldatabase using appropriate args to
fix the analog video sources and a rescan to fix the digital source) if
you're really careful and know what you're doing, but if you do anything
wrong, you'll break MythTV.  And doing it the "complete" way only takes
a couple of minutes, so I recommend (and use) the way that always
works--the "complete" way, using the video sources portion of the linked
post.  (Note, also, that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to
making these changes using the "overwrite the garbage and hope I don't
leave anything behind approach.")

>    Beyond the
> channel scan for the new QAM channels, do I need to instantiate
> anything via mythtv-setup and/or mythfilldatabase?  What do I need to
> worry about regarding recording rules?  Probably half of my rules are
> "record anytime of this channel" - so they are channel specific.  Is
> it safe to assume that as long as the channel name (or is it callsign)
> is the same, that it'll be OK after the lineup changes?

It's callsign.

Mike