[mythtv-users] revo 3600, vdpau, bbc hd stutters

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Mar 2 19:10:19 UTC 2010

On 2 Mar 2010, at 18:46, Greg Oliver wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>> It does in trunk or in JYA's .22-fixes, I'm using it now.
>>
>> You need refresh rate set to any and separate modes for GUI & playback in the FE, now you know it exists google will find the details.
>>
>> The resolution make no difference, if the display and source frame rates don't match it's going to be juddery!
>> It's the sort of thing that a lot of people can tolerate but like banging your head against a wall, it's really nice when it stops ;-)
>
> OK, I tried this last night with a couple of hiccups.  It does appear
> to make some of the scenes smoother, but overall, not much difference.
> The video I tested with I encoded to pal framerate, and xrandr (or
> whatever mythtv does to switch modes) set the display to 53hz, but

Maybe that was mode 53 not 53hz, I doubt that your display actually does 53hz! I think 51 is 1920x1080 at 50hz.

there are some notes here:
http://avenard.com/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2009/7/5_Match_refresh_rate_with_input_framerate_-_update_6.html

I found that I had to add some modelines in xorg.conf to get all refresh rates running cleanly with this patch, I assumed this was entirely due to my display not reporting 1080p24 but maybe there is more to it or maybe your display doesn't report it's modes properly either!

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database

I also found that some of the clips I encoded myself didn't run at the right framerate, some 1080p50 stuff is running at  30fps with a 1080p60 display but I didn't worry about that yet! All my off air recordings switch to 1080p50 or 1080p60 for 1080i50, 720p50 and 1080i60 or 720p60 respectively every time. Thinking about it I really should find out what's happening there and make a bug report at least, not that many people will be having any 1080p50 (or p60) to play with for a while yet...

Maybe it will be better in 0.23 but it works well for me on all the recordings that matter now.

Andre