[mythtv-users] Max number of simultaneous connection

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 23:50:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2010 07:18:15 am Blaise Alako wrote:
>> good day chaps,
>>
>> How many simultaneous connections to different TV channels can mythtv
>>  handle? Is the latter pertaining to the TV card or the backend-server.
>>  What TV card do you recommend for such? I intend to set up a mythtv server
>>  for the purpose of streaming free to air live TV channels to multiple
>>  users.
>
> It would depend on how many capture devices your backend has, and ultimately
> your disk I/O capability. Myth is designed to record to disk, and even "watch
> live TV" is actually recording and then playing back the captured material.
>
> I'd check into whether you have a legal right to redistribute the material
> before doing so.
>
> Myth may not be the best solution for what you describe, as it's designed as a
> PVR/DVR, not a distribution system.
>
> I can't recommend a capture device, as I'm familiar mostly with the USA
> situation.

The answer is probably complicated by the user being in Europe, where
DVB is common. DVB can make good use of multirec, so you can have more
than one virtual tuner per physical tuner.

Of course the layout of channels on the multiplex may defeat that. I
understand in the UK that each freesat multiplex has BBC1 in different
regional variants, the next mux has BBC2 in various regional variants
and so forth. This seems to pretty much defeat the usefulness of
multirec -  unless you want to compare the ads in Scotland to the ads
in Wales...