[mythtv-users] Max number of simultaneous connection

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 06:19:15 UTC 2010

On 1 March 2010 23:50, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> On Monday 01 March 2010 07:18:15 am Blaise Alako wrote:
>>> good day chaps,
>>>
>>> How many simultaneous connections to different TV channels can mythtv
>>>  handle? Is the latter pertaining to the TV card or the backend-server.
>>>  What TV card do you recommend for such? I intend to set up a mythtv server
>>>  for the purpose of streaming free to air live TV channels to multiple
>>>  users.

Will the system be being used as a DVR, or is the sole intention to
stream the same channel continuously to a user? Will the end-users be
interacting with the system to change channel?

>> It would depend on how many capture devices your backend has, and ultimately
>> your disk I/O capability. Myth is designed to record to disk, and even "watch
>> live TV" is actually recording and then playing back the captured material.
>>
>> I'd check into whether you have a legal right to redistribute the material
>> before doing so.
>>
>> Myth may not be the best solution for what you describe, as it's designed as a
>> PVR/DVR, not a distribution system.
>>
>> I can't recommend a capture device, as I'm familiar mostly with the USA
>> situation.
>
> The answer is probably complicated by the user being in Europe, where
> DVB is common. DVB can make good use of multirec, so you can have more
> than one virtual tuner per physical tuner.
>
> Of course the layout of channels on the multiplex may defeat that. I
> understand in the UK that each freesat multiplex has BBC1 in different
> regional variants, the next mux has BBC2 in various regional variants
> and so forth. This seems to pretty much defeat the usefulness of
> multirec -  unless you want to compare the ads in Scotland to the ads
> in Wales...

What are these "ads" on the BBC you talk of?!

Veering OT, but the BBC1 England mux on Freesat (DVB-S, 10773H) has
BBC1/2/3/4/CBBC and CBeebies available, so is perfect for making full
use of multirec. Freeview (DVB-T) will not offer all 4 main BBC
channels until after digital switchover.

The bigger issue I see with Freesat is the much larger number of muxes
compared to Freeview, and the higher cost of DVB-S hardware.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott