[mythtv-users] help diagnosing mythbackend service crashing

Larry mythtv at american-hero.com
Mon Mar 1 02:53:41 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out why in the last 3 week or so my once extremely
stable backend system has suddenly started having an issue with the
mythbackend service causing it do die.

System is running CENTOS 5.4 w kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5

mythbackend version mythtv-backend-0.22-227.el5

The mythbackend logs show nothing so I'm guessing I need to turn on some
additional logging so I can capture what is happening.  Thats the part
that I need help with.

I start the mythbackend service with the standard /etc/rc.d/init.d
scripts and would like to modify that if possible to get the additional
logging. I say this because I have monit currently watching over the
system and restarting it when it crashes now. Monit was added in after
the crashes started to make the system more wife/kid friendly.

I'm sure I will be back with additional questions once I get some of the
log information unless google throws me a bone on the error but right
now I need to figure out how to get more debugs out of the system.

Thanks for your assistance!

Larry