[mythtv-users] Adding another tuner to Mythbuntu 10.04 running .23-fixes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 30 16:58:36 UTC 2010

On 06/30/2010 12:51 PM, Brent Bolin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2010 07:14 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>
>>> For a test I started recording 4 shows from the same multiplexed
>>> broadcast.  2 recordings went to one card and 2 recordings went to
>>> another card.  Wouldn't it be best for me to change the virtual number
>>> of each of these cards to the maximum(4) number of multiplexed
>>> broadcasts for my area?
>>>
>>> I don't use any input priorities.
>>>
>> If your system can handle scheduling for 4x4 inputs and recording on 16
>> inputs simultaneously, then, yes.  The reason for that option is to allow
>> you to choose the configuration your system can handle (as performance is
>> non-linear with additional multirec inputs).
>>
> Does performance drop if their just configured, or if their in use?

Increasing the number of multirec tuners slows the scheduler runs, so
that performance will drop just from configuring them.  If you don't see
any problems with them, you should be fine.

Your system's I/O requirements will increase when you're actually using
the inputs.  So, you should ensure your system can keep up with the
requirements for when/if it ever uses all the multirec tuners.

Mike