[mythtv-users] Any way to quickly switch between backends? (Or no password for frontends on backend?)

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 00:41:49 UTC 2010

I installed a combined FE/BE on a laptop today that I plan to do some
testing with. I brought it home and pointed it to my existing backend
but it's a bit tedious to enter the info, find the password in
mysql.txt, enter that info, and then do it all over again when I want
to switch back to the 'test' backend. I was wondering if there's a
quick and easy way to cycle through backends, or if I can set up my
backend to allow all myth clients without a password. I understand it
may be a security risk since frontends have RW on the mysql database
but I'm ok with the risk at my house.

I seem to remember setting up SniderPad Mac front ends and them
connecting to my backend automatically, but I have no idea how that
happened.

Now that I think about it I suppose I could switch between
config.xml's in my home directory... I think I'd rather do it through
the MythTV interface, if that's possible. Thanks in advance.