[mythtv-users] weather.com Terms of Use

Jason Ward jasonfward at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 18:21:33 UTC 2010

On 28 June 2010 19:10, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
>> In this context, the word "display" does not mean "render on a screen"
>> but rather to "publicly exhibit", or put on display.  There is no
>> difference here between MythWeather and Firefox.  The difference is
>> public display vs. private viewing.  They're saying public displays of
>> the data are forbidden (without further licensing).
>

> Says you.  I'm sorry, I am not a lawyer, and don't wish to be one.
>  However, I am not debating the interpretation of their TOS.  As you are not
> the person on the hook for this, it is easy for you to posture how you will.
>  I don't have that luxury.  I don't need the potential of cease & desist
> notices, etc.  In my reading, and that of several others, we were at *best*
> in the grey area, and at worst, flagrantly violating their TOS.  I chose to
> err on the side of caution and remove it and remove all doubt.

I wonder if the EFF  (http://www.eff.org/work) would be willing/able to give
legal advice to all the MythTV developers?

Or if we could ask the Groklaw (http://www.groklaw.net/) lot for where best
to seek some advice for the developers?

I don't mean for the case of weather.com in particular, I mean for the
project as a whole, on an on going basis.