[mythtv-users] Recording Priority = 99 not a trump all?

Chris Porter hoodlum7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 19:57:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>wrote:

> On 06/23/2010 12:13 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Douglas Peale
> > <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net <mailto:Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>> wrote:
> >

> >     This does not answer my question.
> >
> >     if I select "Record this showing", I might as well be using an old
> >     dumb VCR.
> >
> >     The problem has never been conflicts. I have 5 tuners in my system.
> >     The lower priority channels it has chosen have been on the
> >     same tuner as a higher priority HD channel. At the time, multi-rec
> >     was not enabled. The event was scheduled as "record at any
> >     time on any channel" I would assume that it should pick the higher
> >     priority channel when it has a choice of two channels on the
> >     same tuner, but this is not what happens.
> >
> >     I will ask again:
> >
> >     What is the intent of tuner priority, and channel priority?
> >

> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scheduler#Priority
> >
> > Tuner priority will cause the scheduler to prefer a specific input when
> > assigning recordings.  All other priority values are a lump sum of total
> > priority used to determine what to record, as I understand it.  In that
> > case, channel priority is just another mechanism to increase the total
> > priority of a recording.
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> Then I did understand the priority scheme correctly, and the priority
> scheme is broken.
> By setting all SD versions of channels at a priority of -10, there should
> have been no circumstances where an SD channel was
> chosen over an HD channel since all of the SD versions were on tuners with
> equivalent HD versions.
>
> I have worked around this bug by disabling the SD versions. I don't like
> this workaround though, because when Comcast plays
> musical channels again it will be hard to notice that the hidden channels
> have changed since they are hidden.

I have given HD programs a +2 priority boost in my config and I have left
the channel priorities to 0. The only reason I find recordings on the SD
channels over HD is because the program is not marked as being in HD and
programs on the SD channels are found first.