[mythtv-users] Restarting Failing Recordings

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 13:11:19 UTC 2010

Hi,

I experienced a blip of bad reception the other night on my Free View DTV
(UK), and this got me into a pickle.

I'd asked MythTV to record the football (England vs. Algeria), and 3 minutes
into the recording, the reception became so bad that the DTV card lost the
signal.  A minute or so later the signal came back and was good enough for
us to watch the rest of the game without issue.

However, the recording stalled at 3 minutes.  Even though the data was now
available (after the blip) the recording had completely stalled.

1) Is it possible that if recording, and the signal disappears, that some
sort of retry could be enabled?  I'd imagine it would be easy to detect
whether new data was coming in and when it wasn't, perhaps by something as
crude as monitoring the recording file size?
When a recording stalls, perhaps by retrying the original tuner Myth could
prevent the lost of the rest of the recording?  Perhaps Myth could even be
cleverer and could try other tuners which share the same schedule in case it
can still get the programme?
For example, if I wasn't home and came back to find a complete recording
(with a minute or two gap in the middle where the signal died), that would
be much more preferable to having no recording because the signal died early
on?

2) If none of the above automation is available, something more manual would
be useful.  Once the recording had stalled, it still appeared in my Watch
Recordings list as green (currently recording), but when played was stuck at
3 minutes.  I knew the game was still on, and that signal was back, and knew
that I wanted it recorded, but I couldn't find a "restart this failed
recording" button.  The only way I could get around this was to delete what
I already had (losing the beginning), and either delete the scheduled
recording and then reschedule the recording, or (what I did) to watch it as
Live TV.  However, if I were, say half way through a film, it would be a
shame to have it in two halves.

I hope all this makes sense.  Knowing you guys, this has either been
discussed before, or there is a setting somewhere that I can select, or a
bug report.  Any pointers would be great!

Thanks,

MG