[mythtv-users] Small USB IR Receiver

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Tue Jun 15 04:10:40 UTC 2010

> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:17:08 +0100
> From: Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Small USB IR Receiver
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 14 June 2010 21:04, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am not sure why you wouldnt want to go bluetooth
>> >
>> > one of those for £1.50 dongles on amazon and a ps3 bluetooth remote control £15
> a couple of reasons..
>
> I can't get the sony ps3 remote to work in minimyth
> bluetooth wont do volume for hdmi (unless it's using the software
> audio option, which I haven't really tried yet) and I have a remote
> that can learn volumes keys to control the tv volume direct.
Software audio volume works fine for controlling volume over HDMI.
Downside is if you're frequently changing inputs on the TV, then you'll
have to adjust the TV audio every time you swap between your Myth
front-end and another input.   (Are there any TV's smart enough to
remember the audio level for each input?  Although I can see that could
be annoying too.)

I assign Volume Down/Up to L1/R1 on the PS3 remote.  Don't try to use
LIRC as you lose key repeat with the BD Remote using it, and you'll end
up pulling your hair out.  Bluetooth connects the PS3 remote as a
keyboard and key-repeat comes for free.

To patch Bluez to allow you to easily re-map keys, and to support
connection time-out and transparent reconnect (for extended battery
life) follow the instructions on the xbmc wiki....

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote