[mythtv-users] [OT] Running a VNC server on :1 on Mythbuntu

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 01:38:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM, jansenj <jansenj+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is slightly off topic, but I would like to start up a VNC server
>> on :1 on my mythbuntu box.  I've installed vnc4server and edited
>> ~/.vnc/xstartup so that it runs xinitrc, but when I do that, I get a
>> 2nd instance of mythfrontend running on my :1 server.
>>

> This is all I use for my ~/.vnc/xstartup:
> #!/bin/sh
> xsetroot -solid black
> export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu
> export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu
> exec startxfce4
>
> does that do what you're looking for?  Then you just have to get your
It works -- in that I can start up a VNC session without starting up a
mythfrontend.

It doesn't work in that I have changed my default font size to 40
points so I can read stuff on my television screen when I'm sitting on
my couch.  I get the same 40 point font size in my VNC window, which
is much to large for the little screen on my laptop :-)  (Actually, 40
points is too large for many of the applications that I try to run
when using the TV as a console -- that's part of the reason I wanted a
VNC setup in the first place -- so I could configure stuff and run
some applications occasionally w/o having to tie up the TV.)

Thanks again for the tip and the help.

--wpd