[mythtv-users] anyone have AC3/DTS passthrough working with revo 1600?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 00:12:01 UTC 2010

Hi

On 9 June 2010 03:04, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a Revo 1600 connected via HDMI to my TV and while I get typical
> SD TV stereo sound to play (as PCM) I cannot get AC3/DTS passthrough to
> work.
>
> But the problem is that the TV does not emit any sound from it's
> built-in speakers, nor does the receiver register that it's receiving a
> digital signal, or emit any sound from it's speakers.  It's almost as if
> the AC3 is making it to the TV but it's muted.  Obviously I have checked
> the mute settings on the TV.

This is a common problem.

Very few (if any) TV have a AC3/DTS built-in decoder ; so it won't be
able to play those on the TV directly.

When you're doing a connection like:
PC -> TV -> Amp

in my experience, the TV only passthrough stereo PCM ; including over
their digital out connector nothing else. At least that's what my Sony
and Samsung TVs do.

If you want AC3/DTS passthrough, you have to connect your system like:
PC -> Amp -> TV